- Don’t choose the cinema as a first date – this date in particular reminds me of something you do between the ages of 12 and 15. How do you know if you really like each other, if you spent the time in silence watching a film? Plus no, I do not want a fumble in the dark, it is not romantic!
- Be a gentlemen – just simple things like holding the door open and pulling the lady’s chair out. We remember little things like that!
- Don’t be late – this goes for both sexes. Girls usually use the ‘I was getting ready excuse,’ which I really hate. Fair enough if you have a job, which you had to work overtime for, but if you just took ages getting ready, then that really isn’t fair and sets a bad standard for the relationship. If I went on a date and the guy was late, then I would expect it all of the time and would start turning up late on purpose to avoid waiting around.
- Don’t talk about your ex’s. If you are speaking about them and keep mentioning them, then are you really over them after all? I went on a date with a guy who spoke of getting an STI off his ex, but ‘it’s okay, because it’s gone now.’ Not really the kind of talk you expect on a first date – an ex and STI in one sentence – I never saw him again after!
- Guys should always be prepared to pay, as this is the usual way dates go, but that does not mean that the girl should leave them with the full bill. They should bring their money and offer to at least go halves – if the guy refuses, then at least they offered!